Call us
Back to state requirements

Cheap Iowa auto insurance

Purchasing car insurance can help keep you legal as an Iowa driver, but there’s more to it than that. Car insurance can also help protect you financially if you’re involved in an accident, your vehicle is damaged, or you damage someone else’s vehicle. Here’s what you need to know about Iowa car insurance.

What’s required of all drivers in Iowa?

To legally drive as an Iowa resident, you’re required to have car insurance and meet the following requirements:

The penalties for driving without insurance in Iowa include:

  • $20 fine
  • License plate removal
  • Suspended registration
  • Vehicle towing and impounding expenses
  • Court fees
  • SR-22 insurance requirement
  • Community service

Get a free quote: Start saving on your Iowa car insurance.

What are the minimum car insurance requirements in Iowa?

As an Iowa driver, you’re required to carry at least the minimum car insurance coverage limits:

In Iowa, insurance providers are required to add uninsured motorist (UM)/underinsured motorist (UIM) coverages to your auto insurance policy unless you specifically reject them in writing. UM coverage helps protect you if you’re injured in an accident in which the at-fault driver doesn’t have liability insurance. UIM coverage, meanwhile, applies when you’re injured in an accident in which the at-fault driver has liability insurance, but not enough to pay for your covered expenses.

Are optional car insurance coverages available in Iowa?

Absolutely. While carrying the minimum levels of liability insurance can help keep you legal behind the wheel, it still leaves you vulnerable to large out-of-pocket expenses if your own vehicle is damaged, or if the losses related to a covered accident exceed your limits. For additional protection, consider adding these optional coverages to your policy.

Comprehensive coverage

Comprehensive coverage can help pay for damages caused by acts of nature or other non-collision events, such as fire, hail storms, falling objects, vandalism, and theft.

Collision coverage

Collision coverage can help pay for damage to your vehicle if you’re involved in an accident with another vehicle or stationary object, like a tree or mailbox, no matter who’s at fault.

In Iowa, your comprehensive deductible can't exceed your collision deductible. Also, you need to have collision coverage on your policy in order to purchase comprehensive coverage.

Named non-owner

Non-owner coverage can help protect you if you’re involved in an accident while driving a vehicle you don’t own. Just be aware it doesn't apply to vehicles owned by members of your household. Only liability coverage is available for this type of policy in Iowa.

Roadside assistance

Roadside assistance provides 24-hour emergency towing and roadside service if you run out of gas, get a flat tire, lock your keys in your car, or experience a mechanical or electrical failure, such as a dead battery.

Rental reimbursement

If your vehicle is in the shop following a covered loss and you need to rent a vehicle, rental reimbursement coverage can pay up to $40 per day throughout the rental period—up to $1200 total. Please note, this coverage is only available when you have comprehensive and collision coverages. 

Regardless of your driving history, you can still be insured. Get your quick nonstandard auto insurance quote now.

Iowa car insurance discounts

Car insurance discounts are an excellent way to save even more on your already cheap car insurance. Discounts available in Iowa include:

  • Multi-car
  • Homeowners
  • Transfer
  • Quarterly payment
  • Paid in full
  • Advanced quote

Talk to your Dairyland® agent to learn if you quality for one or more of these discounts.

Get a Dairyland quote for Iowa car insurance

Securing car insurance is important, but that doesn’t mean it ought to be complicated. We make getting an auto insurance quote easy—and free. Simply enter your ZIP code below and click Get a quote. Or if you’d rather talk to an agent over the phone, give us a call at 877-635-0077.

Fast and affordable car insurance.

Need more than Iowa car insurance?

Check out these additional resources for Iowa drivers:

Iowa Department of Transportation

Contact the IowaDOT to renew your driver’s license, take a practice test, and register your vehicle. You can also check local road conditions and traffic cameras, get updates on major construction projects, and more.

Iowa Division of Motor Vehicles

Visit the Iowa Division of Motor Vehicles to renew your commercial license, update your address, order specialty plates, and view your driving record.

Iowa Insurance Division

If you’re looking for licensed insurance companies and agents in Iowa to help insure your home, rental property, or other important assets, the Iowa Insurance Division (IID) has the resources you need.


Get a quick quote
Save on your insurance